Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Eat This // Pitaya (Dragonfruit) Smoothie Bowl

Dragonfruit, Smoothie Bowl

I rarely take the time to eat breakfast. For years, I've subsisted on endless cups of coffee taken at my desk until oh say 2pm when I'd find myself hightailing it to the kitchen (or drive thru) to save my stomach from eating itself. But for several weeks now, I've been working hard to break my bad eating habits and feed my body with healthy fuels - lots of whole grains and seeds, fruits and vegetables, all those good fats and plenty of water and vitamins. My new routine starts with an early breakfast to keep those hunger pangs at bay. My rotating favorite includes a colorful superfood assortment of good for me toppings against the fuchsia backdrop of a dragon fruit smoothie.  It comes together rather quickly, inexpensively and the best part is that it is a flexible compilation. Feel free to sub in your own favorite healthy toppings. 

Here's how I build my own Pitaya bowl at home:

Blend together:
1 Pitaya Plus Frozen Smoothie Pack
1 Banana
1/4 cup of Almond Milk
1 tbsp brown rice protein powder (Optional)
Ice (Optional)

Top it with:
1 tbsp Bee Pollen
1 tbsp Hemp or Chia Seeds
1tbsp Goji Berries
1/2 Banana 
2 tbsp Unsweetened Coconut

Check the Pitaya Plus website for purchase locations near you. I find mine at our local natural foods store, but juice bars far and wide are also using the stuff to make their own bright pink smoothie concoctions. Also, I know we are getting into cooler weather in some areas and a frozen smoothie bowl may not be at the top of the list on a cold morning. I forego the ice and find that it's not any chillier than a typical bowl of cold cereal. Only, this breakfast bowl is much healthier and let's just be honest, much prettier too.


SHARE:

No comments

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig