Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Modern Wall Clock


Over the past couple of weeks, my mailbox has been filled almost daily with hot off the presses seasonal catalogs from all my favorite home stores. As I've flipped through the pages, during what has now become my new bedtime ritual, I couldn't help but take count of all the wall clocks I've seen cataloged. The fact that I even noticed them as "new" says a lot about where we are as a society right now. When I was a kid, we had one hung prominently over our kitchen table and then eventually, a new wall clock (in that bad late 80's southwestern motif I might add) hung right over the living room TV. These days, I'm pretty much checking time on my computer monitor or that iPhone I seemingly have glued to my hand. The digital numbers on the kitchen stove also work well in a pinch. 

Perhaps it was the absence of something that actually made these options stand out to me. It seems the modern wall clock is no longer about function, but decoration. Faceless and available in so many unique materials, these are the clocks no that no longer get relegated to the eat in kitchen, but become part of the wall display in a home office or above the fireplace mantle.  

SHARE:
© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig