Thursday, July 25, 2013

Current Fixation // Campaign Style Director's Chairs

From time to time I get 'fixed' on an idea, a burst of inspiration to make something happen around the house that I just can't shake. In the end, I may decide to go in another direction altogether. But until I exhaust the thought completely through research, trial or even in some cases, until a better idea comes along, these are the things that tend to consume every waking thought. So it is at the moment with stools for our counter-height dining table.


We've held off on purchasing the barstools we'd originally planned for, as decorating dollars have been largely spent on the outdoors this season. As a result, we still have an entire room without any furniture in the house and a table top waiting to be set upon it's legs. The legs are in the works. But the delay in purchasing the chairs lead me to rethink the style of the original stools altogether (you see what happens...). At the moment, I'm currently fixed on incorporating some campaign style director's chairs around the table.  






When it comes to this type of chair, there really are so many colors, styles and price ranges to select from. I've been focused on finding an affordable style with cleaner lines than you might see in your typical budget version, perhaps in a walnut stain- though a natural stain would be a nice contrast to the mostly darker wood found in our adjacent living area.  




One atypical detail that has me particularly transfixed are the partial slipcovers I've seen in images like those above. I've not yet come across a version that has these already installed, but I'm pretty confident I could pull something similar together on my own.  I think it'd be a simple way to polish up a less expensive version. If I go this route, I'll also be looking for a plain white, linen type fabric that could be easily washed in the event of a spill. The softness of the linen would be a nice upgrade to the traditional canvas covers and would make long gatherings around the table even more comfortable.

To my delight, I was able to find an example of a high-top table paired with director's chairs and even narrowed down some attractive and affordable high rise options below.


 Perhaps this little daydream just might happen yet and at a much lighter hit to the pocket book, a happy consequence to all that patient waiting.

image credits: 1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 (unknown) // 6 // 7 // 8 // 9
SHARE:

3 comments

Anonymous said...

I snatched up a director's chair from my sister a while back. It needs some love and for some reason it has been a project I don't want to tackle. BUT, these pics are getting me inspired to dust this chair off! Hope you can get your hands on one!

jackie jade said...

these are all so cool and look super comfortable. the ones with the partial slipcovers are really different-looking too - love them!
-- jackie @ jade and oak

Kristen said...

I don't think I would have ever thought to use a directors chair at the dinner table, but I am kind of loving the look! I'm quite partial to the design, seeing as I was a film student. LOVING the idea of the linen cover. So chic and much more comfy.

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig