Thursday, April 19, 2012

Controlling My Glassware Fetish

Via
I have an excessive commitment to glassware. Really I do. It's clearly veered into collection mode at this point too, a worthy homage to rival even the shelves of our nearest Crate and Barrel. Have I told you that we purchased all of the glassware that was used for our wedding? Yep. Excessive. As someone who likes to entertain- and who entertains often- I feel the glass my guests are holding is as essential to the experience of their cocktail as the ingredients itself. But we have an open cupboard, pour-your-own policy in our home and I wanted to make access to all that pretty glassware easy for anyone who wants to imbibe.

It'd be a shame to keep those highballs and stems hidden from view, where eventually they would succumb to out of sight, out of mind mentality. Luckily, we came up with a more transparent solution for our barware display.

01. // 02. // 03. // 04. // 05. // 06.

It was budget friendly too. Initially I went down the road of an old hutch we could convert, scouring Craigslist and the like for the perfect little china cabinet we could strip of is 1980's lacquer and paint. But alas, it was not to be. I could not find anything within our budget range. So was born the idea to customize an Ikea Liatorp and give it the patina of a painted and layered piece of vintage furniture.



We painted it to match our kitchen cabinets and though it is free-standing in the adjacent dining area and set apart from our kitchen counters, it almost plays the role of a built in, making the room feel bigger than it really is. We even tied in some of the same hardware used in other areas of the kitchen.  The result may actually have been better than I intended and happily, it's help put this growing collection to frequent use in our house.
SHARE:

1 comment

house of earnest said...

WOW! You do have quite the collection! I love love love it! It just looks so classic and chic! Totally enviable!

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig